Douglas Aircraft and VIPs
|Douglas Aircraft Company
Ed Heinemann with Donald Douglas (1947)
- July 1921: First Plane = Cloudster.
- 1922: utilization of Clover Field at Santa Monica CA (later Santa Monica Airport)
- WWII: Douglas had plants at Santa Monica, Long Beach and El Segunda CA., Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Chicago, Ill.
- Post WWII: The Chicago and two Oklahoma plants were closed, the Long Beach CA. plant was dedicated to building Air Force aircraft, the El Segunda CA. plant built Navy aircraft and the Santa Monica facility was used for building commercial transports.
- 1952; Douglas contracted by the U.S. Navy to build prototype XA4D-1.
- 1954: Douglas XA4D-1 first flight.
- 1967: Merger - McDonnell-Douglas Corporation.
- 1976: Manufacture moved to Long Beach.
- 1997: Merged with Boeing.
- 2010: Original Douglas plant site now Clover Park in Santa Monica.
Donald Williams established the "Donald Douglas Museum and Library", later it became the "Museum of Flying".
Douglas Aircraft El Segundo Division displays its products during an open house on 14 November 1954. Area B of Los Angeles AFB now occupies the area pictured here. The aircraft paint booth in the background was modified to create Building 219, the People Center. The airplanes shown are (left to right) AD-5 Skyraider, AD-6 Skyraider, A4D Skyhawk, A3D Skywarrior, F4D Skyray, F3D Skyknight, and A2D Skyshark.
Note: Boeing Photo and given the date the A4D is BuNo 137812 thru 137815.